Where are they now?
There was a list of Brentford pubs mentioned in a piece of doggerel from 1948. Here, from East to West is the list of pubs and where they are, or aren't, now.
Star and Garter – to the east of Kew Bridge. Now an office block. Closed 1983.
Express – Facing on to the bridge. Still operating.
Oxford and Cambridge – west corner of Kew Bridge – had a boat house on the riverside. Closed between 1917 and 1920.
Plough – west of Oxford & Cambridge. Demolished only a few years ago when development being planned for Scottish Widows site.
Waggon & Horses – west of the Plough now standing empty
Jolly Tar or Royal Tar – now O’Riordans (?) opposite the filling station.
Lamb – west corner of Lamb Passage and High Street. Lamb Passage runs down the side of the shop selling uniforms and office equipment. Closed 1909/10.
Salutation – site of the filling station. Closed 1918/20.
Fox & Hounds – four doors east of Eight Bells (see below). In directories until 1918.
Hand & Flower – 20 yards east of the entrance to the gas works. Closed 1904/5.
Marquis of Granby – next to St Georges Church on the east side. This church later became the original Musical Museum. Closed 1903.
Queen’s Arms – two doors east of North Road. Closed between 1880 and 1888.
Barge Aground – third building west of North Road. Closed between 1960 and 1965.
Bull – west corner of Pottery Road and High Street. Closed 1961.
Brewery Tap – alongside the Royal Brewery which was on site of Waterman’s centre. Closed in 1927 for building the gas works extension.
Royal Hotel – east end of offices at Watermans. Closed at the same time as the Brewery Tap also for the gas works extension.
Prince of Wales – previously called Running Horses – fifth building past Pottery Road. Closed about 1908.
Half Moon & Seven Stars – part of Waterman’s site to the west. Last mentioned 1903.
Glittering Star – not mentioned on my list but it might be another name for the one above.
Drum – east corner of Ealing Road which was then called Drum Lane. Closed 1908/9 and demolished for widening Ealing Road 1921.
Lion – or Red Lion – west of Ealing Road. Closed 1962 and then moved to the east side in 1965 on what is now the McDonalds site. See also below in New Brentford.
Alexandra – in front of Jeffreys in Albany Parade. No mention in directories after 1912.
George the IV – east side of Goat Wharf and High St. Closed about 1930 and became a cycle shop.
Watermans Arms – Facing centre of St Lawrence Church. Closed 1908.
Kings Arms – just east of the alley alongside Berkley House sometimes known as Kings Arms Alley. Disappeared 1903/4.
Cannon – in front of west corner of Berkley House. Closed between 1880 and 1888.
Rising Sun – Closed 1964 and became an antique shop. Now Fat Boys.
One Tun Inn – on High Street at west side of County Court. Closed 1904.
Brittania – between One Ton and Duke of Cambridge. Closed by 1872.
Duke of Cambridge – part way along the supermarket car park opposite the footpath down the side of Heidelberg. Closed 1912/13.
Feathers – on the west side of St Paul’s Road at the corner with the High Street before the bottom end of the road was closed off by the supermarket. Opposite No 80 High Street. Closed about 1971.
Beehive – on the same site but originally the third building from the junction. Became the corner building when the Half Acre was widened for trams going to Hanwell 1908.
Black Boy & Still – opposite Half Acre. Closed 1922/24.
Catherine Wheel – Catherine Wheel Yard. Closed 1910/11.
Barley Mow or Barley Corn – corner of Catherine Wheel yard. Closed about 1909.
Castle Hotel – Large coaching inn about the site of Quilliam’s. Closed 1936.
Lion – usually the Red Lion - to the east of the Market Place about Barclays Bank site. For the other Red Lion see above. Closed 1926/28.
Three Pigeons – west corner of the Market Place with accommodation running back to the river Brent. The Pigeons or The Doves on the site from 16th century. Thought to have been frequented by Shakespeare and Ben Jonson as run by John Lewin who had been in the same acting group as Shakespeare. Closed 1916.
Magpie & Stump – just east of Magpie & Crown. Closed 1904/07.
Magpie & Crown – still open but wider frontage and set back from the pavement.
Two Black Boys - just to the west of St Lawrence’s Church. Closed 1880/88.
Six Bells – still there – called after the six bells that were in the church that were rung for special events and when Royalty passed through the Town. Originally two buildings from the corner of The Ham.
The Magnet – west corner of the Ham and the High Street. Closed circa 1955.
Lord Nelson – next door but one to the Magnet. Became a confectioners between 1905 and 1907. Now a pub in Enfield Road.
Duke of Northumberland or Northumberland Arms – just west of Brentford Bridge and still operating although now called O'Brians.
George & Dragon – still there.
The Standard – not on the more detailed list I’ve been given.
The Angel – rebuilt as Park Tavern and now site of apartments to the east of Syon Park hotel gate.
Coach & Horses – along London Road opposite Syon Estate. March 2011 - just reopened after refurbishment.
Grand Junction Arms – to east of Watermans’ Park. Last mentioned in 1888 street directory. There was another establishment with the same name on Bridge Terrace facing the Ham. It closed 1915/17.
Half Moon & Crown – Brent Lea bus stop. Closed 1904/5.
Crown & Anchor – west side of Half Acre. Closed 1878/80.
Eight Bells – one shop away from the Hand and Flower – see above. Last mention in a directory is 1877.
This list was compiled by a man called Alan Benham and donated to the Local Studies at Chiswick Library by a friend of his in 2000 after his death.
June 6, 2011