application has just been lodged which seeks to replace the body
of the church with a 5-storey building containing 19 flats. However
the Church Tower will be retained. The tower is is recognized in
the Thames Landscape Strategy as a significant local landmark.
from harm is the (listed) small Sarah Trimmer building. Built
in 1786, the building marks the first location of what was to become
an important educational movement. Sarah Trimmer (1741 — 1810) was
the daughter of John Joshua Kirby, a friend of Gainsborough, Reynolds,
and Hogarth, teacher of perspective to George III, and Clerk of
the Works at Kew Palace. She married James Trimmer of Brentford,
became the mother of six daughters, whom she educated entirely,
and of six sons whom she helped to educate.
1786 she opened Sunday schools at Brentford, and had an interview
with the Queen, who wished to open similar schools at Windsor. The
remainder of her life was devoted to promoting education. A household
name at the end of the eighteenth century, she published a series
of biblical, moral and practical primers. She was deeply suspicious
of imaginative literature, like fairy tales, and provided her own
corrective in works such as Fabulous Histories; or A History of
the Robins (1786), which was a popular success.
well as the building next to St George's, her name endures as one
of the buildings on the nearby Haverfield Estate.
Trimmer building, foreground, and the Musical Museum. Only the tower
will remain under the present proposals.
Kew Bridge Plans To Be Discussed
Brentford Quarter Plans Announced