|Two People Dead After Fire In Heston Flat|
Two others injured after jumping to escape blaze
Two people have died and two others have been seriously injured following a blaze in a flat in Heston near Hounslow early today (July 10).
The woman was killed when she jumped from a bedroom to escape the inferno. Some reports suggested she was injured when she landed on a telephone box. The woman, who was aged in her thirties, was pronounced dead at the scene. The body of a man was found by firefighters searching the flat.
Two other men, aged 18 and 37, were hurt after jumping into the street from the premises and are in hospital with multiple injuries. The privately-owned flat was over a butcher's shop in a parade of shops in Heston.
Eight fire engines and around 58 firefighters were on the scene for about three hours until the fire was under control.
Several people living nearby were evacuated from their homes for safety. The blaze broke out around 1.30 a.m. in New Heston Road. Witnesses described hearing what they described as " an explosion" before the fire broke out.
Police are treating the fire as "suspicious" and an investigation is now underway.
Hounslow Council has expressed its condolences to the families of the two people who lost their lives as a result of the fire.
The council supported the emergency services in the evacuation of 50 residents from the block of flats, and opened a rest centre at Heston Village Hall for 32 of the residents, including six children. Food, clothing and medical assistance were provided, with Heston Leisure Centre providing shower facilities.
Cllr Jagdish Sharma, Leader of Hounslow Council, said: “Our first priority was to ensure the safety and wellbeing of those residents who had to be evacuated and moved to the rest centre as a result of this tragic fire, before putting arrangements in place as quickly as possible to provide temporary accommodation to those who required it.
“All the evacuees have now been re-housed, and the rest centre has been closed. Our housing team is now working to help them to return to their homes as soon as possible, and begin the process of putting their lives back together after this terrible incident.
“I would like to pass on my thanks to the emergency services, council staff and volunteers who responded very quickly to the events of this morning.”
Cllr Steve Curran, Hounslow’s cabinet member for housing, planning and regeneration, added:
“The fire broke out in a privately-owned flat, but we have no record of the landlord registering the property as a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO). We are now investigating the matter with a view to taking further action.”
July 10, 2013