TVU Changes Name
Did you know?
It was first founded as the Lady Byron School in 1860, and the education institution as it exists today was originally formed from the merger of Ealing College of Higher Education, Thames Valley College of Higher Education, the London College of Music and Queen Charlotte’s College of Health Care Studies.
In 1991, this new entity was inaugurated as the Polytechnic of West London. In 1992 the Privy Council bestowed full university status and it became Thames Valley University (TVU).
TVU grew through a number of mergers, including with the Northwick Park School of Nursing, Riverside College of Nursing and the North West Thames Regional Health Authority's AIDS Unit in 1994, Berkshire College of Nursing and Midwifery in 1995, and with Reading College and School of Art and Design in 2004. On 31 July 2010, the further education college in Reading was smoothly transferred to a new partnership.
TVU will proceed in changing its name to the University of West London now that formal approval from the Privy Council has been given.
* Named No. 1 modern university in London second year running (The Guardian University Guide 2011)
August 4 2010