Three unions declare 24-hour London Underground walkouts
London Underground staff are to stage three 24-hour strikes and other industrial action over pay and night Tubes.
The strikes by RMT, Aslef and Unite union members will start on the evenings of 26 January, 15 February and 17 February.
All parties involved are pointing the finger of blame at each other. The
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said the plans to introduce a Night Tube were "bodged".
Aslef claimed earlier London Underground management had refused to meet to discuss conditions for working on the proposed Night Tube, London Underground called the unions' position "absurd".
It has offered a four-year pay deal over the issue and said it would hire part-time drivers to staff an all-night service at weekends.
Mayor Johnson had said it was “unbelievable” that unions were considering further industrial action. He insisted they had been offered “excellent” terms for staff to be a part of the new service and accused them of making “outrageous demands” including seeking to impose “a new four-day week, which would have been completely unaffordable for TfL and for London’s fare payers.”
Labour’s Mayoral candidate, Sadiq Khan has blamed Mayor Johnson’s failure “to negotiate or even meet” with unions for the further strikes over the introduction of the Night Tube. Mr Khan said:
“Boris Johnson has refused to meet the trade unions even once during his eight years as Mayor – leading to more strikes taking place on the Underground”
Mr Khan stated that these strikes will be a thing of the past if he becomes Mayor of London:
“Londoners need both sides to talk and resolve their differences. As Mayor I will make this happen and stop strikes on the Underground”.
January 11, 2016