MPs Unite Against Heathrow Expansion
Ealing and Brentford Labour colleagues join protest against 3rd runway
Local Labour MPs Rupa Huq and Ruth Cadbury have joined forces to show their opposition to the proposed third runway.
The issue is a matter of concern for both MPs as the airport borders both their seats, Ealing Central and Acton and Brenford and Isleworth. The pressure group CHATR – Chiswick against the Third Runway, took part in the stall held outside Sainsbury's in Chiswick on the first Saturday after the Government's announcement.
Rupa Huq told Ealing Today: '' The new northern runway will impact many more Ealing residents than the existing Heathrow that already emits illegal levels of NO2 polluting the air. Given all the associated congestion and M25 tunnelling, if airport expansion must take place in the south east it is a wrong decision to not plump for Gatwick which could be done with almost no cost to taxpayers, much quicker and affecting a fraction of the residents that Heathrow does.”
Ruth Cadbury said; '' I am saddened and angry that the Government has opted for a proposal that will bring significant noise to the half of my constituency not already under the approach paths, plus more pollution, and higher costs to the UK taxpayer and airline passenger.”
Her words were echoed by Sara Furnas, co founder of CHATR : '''This is an absolutely devastating decision for London. We have been fighting for a generation for future generations not to be blighted with more noise and pollution from Heathrow - and we will keep on fighting' declared .
Amongst the visitors to the stall there was concern from all generations.
Tracy Elner commented: 'The air pollution is intolerable and the noise pollution devastating and debilitating for us all. No to Heathrow expansion' while an elderly gentleman asked if Sipson Church would be saved. When we was told that the villages of Sipson and Harmondsworth were both due for demolition he remarked “If the Lutfwharfe couldnt finish them off they will be gone now!”
Opponents have pledged to continue the fight, with the decision expected to be put to the vote in a year’s time.
November 3, 2016