Mile gets another name on the List
Beechams HQ Listing puts development in doubt
of the largest buildings on the 'Golden Mile' section of the A4
has been listed, throwing the future of the site into doubt.
Willis House building on the A4 has been empty for two years. Owned
by Glaxo Smith Kline its main role today lies in providing overspill
car parking for the new GSK headquarters half a mile away. Originally
opened in 1936 as a parts maufacturing plant for aircraft it was
taken over by Beechams in 1954.
Heritage recommended the building for listing earlier this year,
citing the excellent Deco frontage and the decorations applied to
the windowframes and doorways. The listing includes the iron fencing
around the site, now covered by hoardings.
was expected to be developed for housing but the listing may put this
in doubt. The building is very close to the A4 and the elevated M4, with
a large empty area - the car park - to the rear. Ironically the site is
opposite the famous illuminated
Lucozade sign which is under threat.
of Willis House and the declaration of a Conservation Area may mean that
TW8 has seen its last large housing development. The rapid increase in
house prices seems to have stalled in the area, as revealed by the latest
15 Nov 2003
a member of BrentfordTW8.com - it's free
on this story on the