The History of Isleworth Riverside

Next talk of Hounslow and District History Society

Sign up for our free Brentford newsletter

Comment on this story on the

The History of Isleworth Riverside is the topic of the forthcoming lecture of Hounslow and District History Society, the final one before the new season of talks resumes in September 2015. The illustrated lecture, after the Annual General Meeting, will take place at the United Reformed Church Hall, Chapel Road, Hounslow on Tuesday 28 April 2015 at 7.45pm. The lecturer is Ms Andrea Cameron, the well-known local historian.

Ms Cameron will commence with Syon House showing the water meadows which are flooded annually by the spring high tides. The medieval marshland by the river is of Special Scientific Importance. The adjacent Syon Pavilion (1803) was designed by Robert Mylne for the 2nd Duke of Northumberland as a present for his wife.

Church Wharf, in front of All Saints’ Church, provides free moorings. The houses along Church Street, dating from 11th-20th centuries, are opposite the early 18th century inn, the London Apprentice.

The site of Isleworth House (1833) is being converted into residential accommodation. Gordon House (early 18th century) has recently undergone a multi-million pound restoration. Kilmorey Mausoleum houses the coffins of the eccentric Earl of Kilmorey and his mistress, Miss Priscilla Hoste.

Ms Cameron will thus present new local information, inspiring us to revisit these and other nearby places of interest. Everyone is welcome at £2.00 each for non-members.

April 20, 2015

Bookmark and Share